1. Bonus Points for Skilled Migration: If you want to apply for a permanent residency, there are 5 points for students who have acquired at least one degree, a diploma or a trade qualification, by studying and living in regional Australia.
2. Eligible for post study work rights: Post graduate degree from a regional area makes you eligible for 3 or 4 years of post-study work rights in regional Australia for international students.
3. Affordable Living: Compared to the big cities like Sydney and Melbourne, living in regional areas are affordable. International students can live comfortably with as low as $100 per week on a sharing basis. According to the data from REIV, in 2019 price for 2 bedrooms in the city of Melbourne is $500 per week, whereas in regional Victoria its $280 per week for a 2-bedroom house. Another example can be Adelaide where the cost of rent, in 2019, was 49% less than in Sydney, according to Insiders Guides.
Even the transportation in most of the regional areas are free of cost. The grocery and fuel prices are standard among all the big chains all over Australia, but all the other costs make up for this one.
4. Less distractions: Regional areas are not as happening as the cities; the night life is quiet after 8 or 9pm on weekdays. There are not as many things to do as in the city, so there will be less distractions to the studies for students especially. Students have a small class size as well, where the students get more attention from the teacher and there is less disruption in the classroom itself.
5. Lifestyle: The lifestyle would be more peaceful and relaxed. Unlike city, which runs in a fast-paced way, regional areas have a laid-back lifestyle which is beneficial for students. There is less traffic, and less pollution and cleaner air and clearer roads. Slower pace of life means higher quality of life.
6. Community: There is a strong sense of community in a small town or regional area. It is easier to get along with people near you, be it your neighbours, your grocery shop vendor or your local cafe’s barista.
7. Closer to nature: Australia is popular for its beautiful natural resources. The more distant you are from the city, the closer to nature you are. Since, you are going to save from not spending much, you can spend on small trips and hikes closer to the towns, for instance, if you are living and studying in Townsville you can save and go snorkelling along the Great Barrier Reef.
We are a trusted international student and registered migration agent, so if you have any queries about student visa, visa extension or renewal, or any other visas, feel free to contact us via our social media pages or Book an appointment with our Registered MARA Agent. or
You can walk-in to our Melbourne office as well,
Visit us at: Suite 3 – Level 2, 470 Collins Street,
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 3000
LIST OF REGIONAL UNIVERSITIES