SKILLED REGIONAL (PROVISIONAL) VISA
The Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (subclass 491) will provide the applicant and their family members with a right to live, work and study in Regional areas in Australia for 5 years. This visa provides a pathway to its holders on being eligible to apply for a Permanent Residency Visa after 3 years. The Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (subclass 491) has replaced the 489 visa as at 16 November 2019.
This stream has a points based criteria and the applicant is required to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and have a score of at least 65 points.
- Nominated by an Australian State or Territory Government Agency
- Have a suitable skills assessment of your occupation
- Must be aged 45 or under
- Have a minimum requirement of at least 65 points
- Must have at least competent English
- Meet the health and character requirements
- Paid back your debt to the Australian Government (if any)
- Sign the Australian values statement
- Not have had a visa or previous application refused
PATHWAY TO PR
Applicants holding this visa, must have complied with the 3 years stay and work requirement, together with all other conditions attached to this visa and have a met the minimum taxable income requirement in order to be eligible to apply for the Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa (subclass 191)
SKILLED REGIONAL VISA
As at 16 November 2019, the Department of Home Affairs has suspended the Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) and that it is no longer available for new applications. Applicants, applied and currently holding subclass 489 prior to 16 November 2019, are still eligible to apply for the permanent Skilled Regional Visa (subclass 887).